Saturday, March 10, 2007

My girlfriend loves/hates Cat Power

Sometimes I worry that all I'll ever write about is music and concert reviews and open letters to members of the Wu-Tang Clan. Surely, I can find something else to write about? Eh... it's just safer this way. I could probably write about comedy and stuff but then I run the risk of a) burning bridges and b) turning into ericcheung. But I think about music because truly that's all I have to let people know how cool I am. If my iPod doesn't have the newest, hippest, most elite bands on it, then what do I have to identify myself with? If I don't think non-stop about trying to listen to cool music, I'll never be able to be have as hip as say a Max Silvestri or a guy that is comparable to Max Silvestri. (How's that blog? Two comic bridges burned in one opening paragraph. Suck it, Max.)

In the last week, I've made my girlfriend to Mix cds of music I think is the bee's shit. I did it mostly because I'm eternally 15, partly because I like to condescend, and slighty because I have hopes that I won't have to go to concerts forever holding hands with Steve Wilkinson.

I give her the cds. She digests them for a week and then I quiz her on what she likes and dislikes. It's a fun game filled with unexpected surprises and expected unsurprises. So far, I'm two for two with Bloc Party ("Modern Love" and "I Still Remember") and two for three with Sufjan Stevens ("Something slow that I has a million words in it's title," "the song from seven swans that was on the oc soundtrack, and "chicago." Metric has hit twice and Feist, Broken Social Scene, Belle and Sebastian, Neutral Milk Hotel, and Cat Power have all gotten on base without striking out.

Cat Power. The reason we are here. The second song on the first disc is "He War." A song so great I had diddly guitar part stuck in my head at work and I could not figure out what the fuck it was to the point where I contemplated taking my own life (mostly because I was at work, partly because I was really frustrated, and slightly because sometimes sean sad.).

I played it in her car and she was singing a long. I said, "Wow. You like Cat Power. Cool." At which point, she turned the song off and said, "Cat Power? Really? I hate it now."
ME "But you were just singing it?"
HER "Yeah but Cat Power is a stupid name. I won't listen to anything with a name that stupid."
ME "But you like it!"
HER "Not anymore. That name stinks."
ME "What's wrong with the name?"
HER "I just imagine little mangy dirty cats with fur covered in shit and cat litter wearing capes."

My girlfriend shut out Cat Power because the stage name of the artist made her think of dirty, shit-covered, super-hero cats. This is why I keep her around. Also, it's the reason I will continue to go to concerts with Steve.

NEW BRIGHT EYES REVIEW IN MAY!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home