Wednesday, June 01, 2005

The film "Crash"

If you are planning on seeing the film Crash, which I recommend, make sure that you see the entire thing. If you get there and the film is already playing, turn around, and try again some other day. Me and the ladyfriend went to the 3:55 showing at Showcase Cinemas Randolph today. We stopped at CVS at approx 3:25. I bought a Coke and Reece' Pieces and she a Diet Coke and Rolo Bites (which are not very good and do not deserve any sort of recommendation). We arrived at the theater at 3:50, bought tickets at 3:53, and sat down at approx 3:58. By my estimation, if the film started at 3:55 (which we all know never happens because of commercials and trailers and movie jumbles and "fun" trivia), then we would have missed 3 minutes of the movie which must have been an action packed 3 minutes because as I walked in and Ludacris was doing something with some other guy at some car place thing, I sat for the rest of the movie going, "What the hell is going on?" I knew that the movie was 1 hour and 40 minutes long and I also knew that my mother had heard that it was "weird." So imagine my surprise when the movie ends at 5:05. We missed a good 20-30 minutes and in those 20-30 minutes, the entire movie is set up, characters established, and plots begun. We were given free passes and will go and finish/start the movie on Saturday.

On a sidenote: At a movie that deals with racially sensitive topics/issues, I found that I was powerless against asking the three Haitian women at the end of my row (and I only know that they were Haitian because I spent four years at Brockton High) to stop talking loudly throughout the portion of the movie that we saw. I can't think any more awkward time to absentmindedly reinforce racial stereotypes than when Matt Dillon is on the screen 20 feet away talking about "black people are awful this and spanish people are awful that."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home